FREDERICTON, N.B. – A group of New Brunswickers has been appointed to provide support and strategic advice about the implementation of the new prescription drug plan for uninsured New Brunswickers.
"I thank these individuals who have agreed to share their perspectives for the greater good and be part of the implementation advisory committee," said Health Minister Hugh Flemming. "The drug plan for uninsured New Brunswickers will be one of the most important health-care initiatives our province has seen since the creation of Medicare, and I am happy that this group of prominent community members has agreed to provide support."
In December 2012, the Advisory Committee on Health Benefits, chaired by Dr. Dennis Furlong, brought forward its report, An Insurance Plan For Prescription Drugs for Uninsured New Brunswickers. The report's recommendations will form the basis of the insurance plan, which will help prevent all New Brunswickers from experiencing financial hardship because of prescription drug costs.
Members of the implementation advisory committee are:
● Flemming, Rothesay (co-chair);
● Lily Durepos, founding shareholder of Alliance Assurance Inc., Grand Falls (co-chair);
● Furlong, physician; former minister of health; and former minister of education, Dalhousie;
● John Kileel, president and chief executive officer, Kileel Developments Ltd., Fredericton;
● Lloyd Foote, fellow chartered accountant and partner at Deloitte, Saint John;
● Anne Hébert, chief executive officer, Conseil économique du Nouveau-Brunswick inc., Bouctouche;
● Doris Losier, owner, Cape Bald Packers Ltd., Cap-Pelé;
● Nepisiguit MLA Ryan Riordon, Bathurst;
● Elizabeth Weir, founding president and chief executive officer, Efficiency NB; former leader of the New Brunswick New Democratic Party; and former Saint John Harbour MLA, Saint John; and
● Doug Williams, co-owner, Garrison District Ale House, Fredericton.
The advisory committee will be in place until summer 2014 and its responsibilities include:
● providing input on key plan implementation decisions;
● offering insight on concerns of stakeholders and advice on addressing them; and
● participating in the development and delivery of the communication strategy.