Moncton shooting suspect arrested just after midnight

Tribune-Post Staff
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

RCMP in New Brunswick have confirmed that 24-year-old Justin Bourque was arrested just after midnight. The arrest ends a 27-hour manhunt after three members of the Codiac RCMP were fatally wounded and two others were injured by the suspect.

MONCTON -  An ordeal lasting more than a day, keeping many in the Moncton area on edge, is over.

RCMP in New Brunswick announced just after 1 a.m. that 24-year-old Justin Bourque was in police custody.

"Justin Bourque arrested by RCMP at 12:10 in Moncton. He is in police custody. Residents of north Moncton can now leave their homes," said a tweet from RCMP New Brunswick at 1:30 a.m.

While police recovered weapons close by, the accused had none on him at the time of the arrest. Criminal charges are pending.

The hunt for Bourque started just after 7:30 p.m. Wednesday when three officers, responding to a complaint in north-end Moncton, were fatally wounded. RCMP rushed into the area from throughout the province, Nova Scotia and P.E.I. and residents in the area were locked down in their homes, told to keep their doors locked and to stay off the street.

Bourque was reportedly seen three times early Thursday and police cordoned off a portion of Mountain Road in Moncton and converged on a rooming house based on information he may have been there.

All schools and many businesses in the Moncton area were shut down for the day and police urged people to remain in their homes Thursday night. They were also asked to turn on their  homes' outdoor lights to help police with the search.

Details of Bourque's arrest were not immediately available although various media sources have footage of him being apprehended and place in a police cruiser.

The work of our members was professional and effective. They deserve my utmost respect. Roger Brown, Commanding Officer of RCMP in New Brunswick

Although the immediate situation has been resolved, the investigation is ongoing. Residents in the affected area are now free to leave their homes and the roadblocks have been lifted.The RCMP is now confirming the identities of the fallen members are:

• Constable David Ross, 32, from Victoriaville, Quebec.

• Constable Fabrice Georges Gevaudan, 45, from Boulogne-Billancourt, France

• Constable Douglas James Larche, 40, from Saint John, New Brunswick

Earlier in the day, RCMP said it was the worst day in the history of policing in New Brunswick. It was the worst mass shooting of police since the killing of three officers in Mayerthorpe, Alta in 2005.

Assistant Commissioner Roger Brown, Commanding Officer of RCMP in New Brunswick, said the RCMP is in mourning.

"This is a trying time for our members as we have lost three of our own and two more are hospitalized. I commend our members for their dedication and professionalism as they were able to stay focused on the task at hand and getting results throughout this ordeal bringing the situation to a quick end. The work of our members was professional and effective. They deserve my utmost respect."

 

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: MONCTON, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia Mountain Road Victoriaville Quebec Boulogne-Billancourt France Saint John

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments