– Never leave valuables in your camp or cottage when you are not there. Valuables might include anything from fishing equipment to firearms, or recreational vehicles.
– Always lock vehicle, outbuilding, and residence doors. Many thefts are crimes of opportunity.
– Record any available serial numbers on vehicles and equipment and take photos of valuable items, especially uncommon ones. This might make recovery easier in the event of theft.
– If practical, consider installing video recording system.
– Report any suspicious activity in your area to police and remain alert.
"We're fortunate to live in a beautiful area, and we want everyone to enjoy a safe and festive summer," says New Brunswick RCMP Cpl. Chuck Plaxton. "A few simple steps can go a long way towards helping people protect their property and themselves."