As of Sept. 13, there are 917 cyclists registered – 720 from Nova Scotia and further afield, including almost every province in Canada.
“Our organizing committee is very pleased with how the planning is going, said Larry Peach, tourism manager for the Municipality of Clare.
“We’re confident that the cyclists will have another unforgettable cultural and cycling experience,” he said.
Festivities at the finish line have been “ramped up” this year with live music, a cheering entourage and participation medals.
This is the third year for the ride, which has grown in size annually. Although a timed activity, the Gran Fondo is more of a self-paced “fun” group event than a race, with several routes, ranging from 35 to 161 kilometres to choose from.
Scenery includes rolling inland roads, towering wooden churches and a panoramic coastal route that hugs “beautiful” Baie Sainte-Marie.
It’s not too late to sign up for the event, says Peach. Registration for $109 is available until 8 a.m. on event day.
“We’re really excited that Clare will be welcoming cyclists from all over the world from Argyle to Australia,” he said.
Gran Fondo Baie Sainte-Marie registration and schedule
To register click here
SATURDAY, SEPT. 23
• Noon to 8 p.m. – Check in and registration at the Clare Veterans Centre (9938 Highway 1, Saulnierville
• 4 to 8 p.m. – Social evening with fricot and entertainment at the Clare Veterans Centre
SUNDAY, SEPT. 24
• 6:30 a.m. - Parking opens at Clare Veterans Centre
• 7 a.m. - Check in and registration opens at Clare Veterans Centre
• 8 a.m. - Registration closes. Cyclists will start in staging area adjacent to the Clare Veterans Centre, at the Vélo Baie Sainte-Marie mini-mall parking lot (9976 Highway 1, Saulnierville)
• 8:15 a.m. - Pre-ride briefing
• 8:30 a.m. - 161 km Super Fondo ride starts
• 8:45 a.m. - 118 km Gran Fondo ride starts - two waves: advanced, followed by intermediate and beginner
• 9 a.m. - 67 km Medio Fondo ride starts - two waves: advanced, followed by intermediate and beginner
• 9:15 a.m. - 35 km Piccolo Fondo ride starts
• 10:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. - Finish line "Kitchen Party" - medals for all participants to the backdrop of live music
• 11:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. - Post-ride meal at Clare Veterans Centre and in the Riverside Lobster Tent
• 2:30 p.m. - Awards ceremony at Clare Veterans Centre
• 4 p.m. - Route support ends