Top News

North Sydney man deemed risk to commit sexual offence against a child

 ..
..

SYDNEY, N.S. — The National Parole Board has ruled a North Sydney man will be detained until his sentence expires, deeming him a risk to commit a sexual offence involving a child or do serious harm to another person if he was released.

The board issued its decision regarding Jeffrey Daniel MacIntyre, 26, Friday.

He had pleaded guilty to two counts of luring a child under 16 for a sexual purpose; two counts of breaching court orders; two counts of possession of child pornography; extortion; single counts of sexual assault and committing an indecent act.

The most recent board decision said MacIntyre’s risk to commit another sexual offence is currently escalating.

In May 2015, after credit for time served, MacIntyre was sentenced to a federal prison term of two years and five-and-a-half months. The court heard that MacIntyre first began online communications with a girl in 2013 when she was 13. He told her he was 16. After several months of electronic communications, they met in March 2014 and engaged in sexual intercourse.

They again had sex the following day, after which MacIntyre suffered a seizure.

When paramedics arrived, the girl learned he was 22. The girl had sent MacIntyre nude photos of herself, which he later threatened to post online if she didn't contact him.

In July, the board revoked MacIntyre’s statutory release after it was learned that he had a cell phone with which he accessed the internet, including pornographic websites, in breach of his special conditions.

In August, just prior to his second statutory release, the Correctional Service of Canada found a notebook in MacIntyre’s cell containing “drawings of pornographic images of young females and very crude, descriptive letters written by yourself … The materials, both drawings and writings, are considered extremely graphic in nature with several disturbing themes that include violence, restraints and non-complying victims.”

The board noted that the letters are from the point of view of girls aged eight to 14, including one using the name and age of his victim in a relationship with a man of his age and name.

After an initial denial, MacIntyre accepted responsibility for the notebook, first claiming he wrote in it for therapeutic purposes, later admitting it provided sexual stimulation.

“You asserted that there is a ‘monster’ inside you that sometimes wants to get out,” the board stated.

The Correctional Service of Canada is concerned MacIntyre’s offence cycle is still active and his next step will be to find a girl with whom to act out his fantasies.

According to file information, MacIntyre has not made any threats against potential victims.

MacIntyre’s case management team recommended his detention be ordered as they concluded he would not be able to control his urges and no supervision program could adequately protect against the risk he would represent in the community.

MacIntyre has indicated he disagrees that he represents a high risk for sexual recidivism.

The decision notes that file information indicated MacIntyre had engaged in relationships with underage females on two prior occasions although he faced no charges related to them. He has said he believes if he returned to another part of Canada where he previously lived he would be fine.

 

nancy.king@cbpost.com

Recent Stories